Friday, August 7, 2009

Studying.."Created to be His Help Meet"



Today begins our study of the book by Debi Pearl, Created to be His Help Meet. Through our study of this book, we are going to learn what it means to be a help meet and actually living the role that God created us as women to fill. I've read this book once before and applied many of the things that Mrs. Pearl spoke of, and it has transformed an already good marriage into nothing short of awesome!! I encourage you to purchase this book and follow along or at the very least, check out the Pearl's website at http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/
Any text taken directly from Mrs. Pearl's book will be highlighted in blue.


Part 1: The Help Meet
Chapter 1: God's Gift


"And the Lord God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him."
Genesis 2:18, KJV


We all know that God created man and woman. From God's statement in Genesis 2:18 we find that woman was created to be a help meet for man. Why did He do this? Because it was not good that man was alone.

What is your definition of a help meet? This is what Webster says:
Help: to contribute to; facilitate or promote
Meet: to come together
By Webster's definition, a help meet is someone who comes together with someone in order to contribute to and promote.

So if woman was created to be a help meet for man, by definition we were created to come together with our husbands to contribute to and promote them.
This doesn't mean that we are to lay as doormats for our man, but it does mean that he is our authority. God gave us His order for marriage in Ephesians 5:23a:

"For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church..." NLT

Can't argue with that!!

Proverbs 18:22 says:
"The man who finds a wife finds a treasure, and he receives favor from the Lord." NLT


Ask yourself what kind of treasure are you? Are you precious gold or confederate dollars?

Mrs. Pearl asks the question, "If God created a special woman, perfectly suited to be your husband's helper, would you be that woman?"

She also tells us in this first chapter that we are not to covet his role of leadership, since that is his divinely appointed role.
Even if we are better leaders, it is better that our husbands do their jobs poorly, than for us to do it for them. God put them in that leadership position. If we do our job fulfilling our role as help meet, that could encourage a poor leader to do a better job.

As a good help meet, we are going to look for ways to please our husbands.
Am I the woman that makes my husband eager to come home to in the evening or does he walk in with a sense of dread of what is waiting on him?

Do I know what pleases my husband?
Does he like a clean house? Well mannered children? Does he want a good steward of the finances he provides? Am I meeting his sexual needs?

This week we are encouraged to make a new habit. We are to think of ways to be a helper to our husbands. Ladies, we know our men....and if you have some doubt as to what he'd like in you, ask him. Tell him that you desire to be a better help meet to him and you'd like his input.

Don't allow satan to discourage you by making you think that you are setting yourself up to be lorded over. Quite the contrary! Just stick with this study and I'm sure you'll find that being a true help meet to your man is certainly worth the effort!!!

Next week: A Merry Heart

5 comments:

Andrea said...

If our husbands love us as they are suppose to there is no problem. Thank GOD my hubby is awesome.

Jennifer said...

Looking forward to following your study!

Jena said...

I am enjoying reading this. I appreciate your points of view also. I purchased this book right after you said you were going to do this study and I've read the first chapter and then some. I am looking up and reading all the scriptures that she references to also. I am taking this very seriously. I am constantly wanting to better myself as a person (mother, wife, etc.). I can't do it all at once - just a piece at a time. Looking forward to the rest of the study.

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

AWW I really want to read this book. I hope I can find it and get a chance to read it!!

Beth in NC said...

Hey Sister. I really enjoyed reading this book a few months ago. It is amazing how our husbands change WHEN WE change our hearts. Or should I say when we allow God to CHANGE our hearts.

Love,
b