Monday, August 3, 2009

Light, Deception and Darkness

I've read and re-read this post, trying to decide if it makes any sense or if I'm just chasing myself. I've prayed and tried to sit quietly and hear from the Lord on what He would have me to do. I've decided to go ahead and post it, praying that the Spirit will reveal to you the urgency behind what I'm trying to say.
Thank you so much for continuing to read, comment and follow even when I'm frustrated that the points I'm trying to get across, don't seem to make much sense.
Blessings to all of you, my bloggy buddies.......

As I shared on Saturday, I've been given a real burden for the teens and 20 somethings that my teens know, hang around and work with.

It seems as if Satan is on a rampage everywhere I turn.

He is destroying marriages....3 of which I personally know, and he is destroying young adults.
It breaks my heart, but I find I've went from hurt to anger. The enemy should not be allowed to deceive and destroy as it seems he's been given the ability to do.

I realize that I am not immune to the weapons that the enemy tries to use against me. Almost everyday he tries to use the weapons of guilt, envy, discouragement...the list could literally go on and on some days.

But with the young people, I'm finding that they are getting drunk, having premarital sex, using profane language and then telling others that "God told them to......", "God showed them......"

Here's where I'm getting angry. Has satan so deceived our teens and young adults that they truly believe they can come to church, sing, praise...even "lead" others and then live for the devil the rest of the time?

One young adult has even told my DD that he sees demons on a regular basis...yet claims to be a Christian!! How can that be? What does this person do with the Scripture that states,

"The Word gave life to everything that was created, and His life brought light to everyone. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it."
John 1:4-5, NLT (emphasis mine)


and the Scripture that states,

" Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness? What harmony can there be between Christ and the devil? How can a believer be a partner with an unbelief?"
2 Corinthians 6:14-15, NLT (emphasis mine)


Darkness and Light simply cannot coexist.

I'm reminded of the time that we visited Ruby Falls in Tennessee. The guide took us down into that cave and the farther down we went, the darker it got. Once the guide got everyone to the bottom and got us circled around, he turned off the lights. It was so dark that you literally couldn't see your hand in front of your face. It only took a matter of seconds before panic began to set in and fear rose at a roaring speed. Then the guide turned on a small flashlight. The tiny light beam from that tiny flashlight immediately removed all fear and panic. You got the feeling of...."I'm safe. It's going to be okay." ...All from a tiny beam of light.

How much more safe are we when Jesus is our Savior?? The Light of the World, living in me destroys any darkness that satan tries to convince me is still there. There is no more darkness in me.

Am I still tempted? Yes.

Do I still give in to that temptation? Occasionally. But it shouldn't be the norm for a child of God and what I'm learning is that with this age group, and even in the before mentioned marriages, it is the norm to give in to the darkness and then be a Christian at the appropriate times.

To me, in my opinion, that is not true Christianity. Open, blatant, daily, repetitive sin does not show others that Jesus living in us.

We are told in the Word,

"Those who love their life in this world will lose it. Those who care nothing for their life in this world will keep it for eternity."
John 12:25, NLT (emphasis mine)


also,

"And I will rescue you from both your own people and the Gentiles. Yes, I am sending you to the Gentiles to open their eyes, so they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God. Then they will receive forgiveness for their sins and be given a place among God’s people, who are set apart by faith in me."
Acts 26:17-18, NLT (emphasis mine)


As Christians we are set apart, not of this world. Loving the life of this world, enjoying every bit of the sin and temptation that it offers will not gain us Heaven.

May I remind you that I'm talking about men who have proclaimed Christianity for years and years.

I'm talking about teens and young adults that are active in church right now and have also claimed Christianity for years.

I want to use this to remind you to also spend much time in conversation and prayer with your own children. It's so important that you take the time to mold them and shape them. Let them see you pray, read the Word and spend time with our Savior. Make sure the foundation they are standing on is Jesus Christ because once they step out into the battlefield, they will need to draw on every ounce of spiritual training and guidance you have provided for them.

Satan used this confusion to draw my own two precious teens into the wilderness. It was something that my DH and I never saw coming because we were so sure they couldn't be shaken. We were sure their foundation was strong.

We, as Christians, have to come together and stand in the gap for each other's children, each other's marriages.

A prayer partner is awesome, but two prayer partners are even better,

"A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken."
Ecclesiastes 4:12, NLT


Satan is cunning, for sure, but we must remember that,
".....the Spirit Who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world."
1John 4:4, NLT


Join with me, be part of that triple-braided cord, in refusing to any longer let satan take and keep control, where he has none.

9 comments:

Jena said...

If you need a prayer partner, e-mail me your prayer request. I would be more than happy to help. I believe the old addage, "It takes a village to raise a child". (Wouldn't a village of Christians be even better?)

Beth Herring said...

I just had a young friend call me today for prayer. Her husband of more that 10 years has decided that he wants a divorce. Said it had nothing to do with her. SHe is heartbroken and I told her it was just an attack of the devil and we just need to bind together in prayer against it. satan is a liar and we need to call it like we see it.

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

You have such a burden for this Deb I can feel it through what you so said. Your post is very clear and I totally agree with all you have said. There is a definate hypocrisy in the behaviour of these young ones that does seem to be Satan at work. How awful!
I will happily pray with you and maybe your Church could have a special prayer meeting about it or something?
Collette xxxx

Sandy said...

Deb, I so appreciate your heart and passion for Christ. You are right about Satan's attacks on husbands and wives and on young people. We are truly in a spiritual battle, but thankfully, we have victory in Christ. Praying with you.

momstheword said...

"How much more safe are we when Jesus is our Savior?? The Light of the World, living in me destroys any darkness that satan tries to convince me is still there. There is no more darkness in me." Love this quote, Deb!

I think that many people have bought into that whole "tolerance, tolerance, tolerance" sell.

They are so busy tolerating everyone and everything that they don't have time to be lights for Christ in their world.

Many people say "Well, God will forgive me" so they continue to sin again and again. However, if they are treating it so lightly, are they really sorry and do they really mean it? And if they're not really sorry, is God going to forgive them? Only God knows their hearts.

But we are to repent and turn away from our sin. We will still sin, but should grieve when we do, and the Holy Spirit is there to give us the victory and ability to turn away from it.

Pam D said...

Momstheword pretty much took the words out of my mouth (or fingers, actually..). When pastors and preachers are afraid to mention hell because it makes the congregation "uncomfortable", satan wins. When all that is ever talked about is love and grace, and the fact that "the wages of sin is death" is never spoken? satan wins. When the only ones who really talk about hell, and sin, and repentance.. are the judgemental Pharisees of this age, this gives plenty of fodder to the liberal media to paint Christians as intolerant hypocrites. And satan? wins again. We've lost our fear of God. And finally, when we emasculate and "metrosexualize" men, and those men become ineffectual fathers, THAT is the role model these kids see for THE Father. And satan? is laughing all the way to the bank.
Deb, your confusion and indecision on posting this was not God-created. Like Much Afraid in Hinds Feet, members of the Fearings were around you. Perhaps Pride... whispering "What if it doesn't make sense, Deb? What if you look foolish?" I'm so glad that the Shepherd ultimately guided you to post it. It's right and true, and it needs to be said.
Blessings...

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

Amen to all that Pam D has said!

Greg C said...

I will pray for you as well. I too feel like the Devil is attacking regularly now. I see it all around me. In politicians, children and elders alike. I was going to write something personal but I felt it best to leave that out. It is a shame what our young people are up against. I pray for my children daily.

Jennifer said...

Absolutely true...the Bible says a fountain cannot send forth both sweet waters and bitter (thats a paraphrase for sure) - but habitual sin...and sin that is bragged about just is not consistent with a life surrended to Christ! Thanks for your post.