Friday, February 26, 2010

Studying...Created to be His Help Meet

We are studying the book by Debi Pearl, Created to be His Help Meet. Through our study of this book, we are going to learn what it means to be a help meet and actually living the role that God created us as women to fill. I've read this book once before and applied many of the things that Mrs. Pearl spoke of, and it has transformed an already good marriage into nothing short of awesome!! I encourage you to purchase this book and follow along or at the very least, check out the Pearl's website at http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/ Any text taken directly from Mrs. Pearl's book will be highlighted in blue.

I realize that in studying Created to be His Help Meet at the rate of one chapter per week, we will be doing this study for approximately 24 weeks. We could go at this at a much faster rate, but I believe that if we truly want to change and fill our God given rolls as help meet to our husbands, then we need to take things slower and put into practice what we are learning. I hope you agree and stay the course with me as we become better help meets together.

Part 2: Titus 2

Chapter 21: Good

Are you a good woman?

I believe I am a good woman, and after reading through this chapter, I still believe I am a good woman, but I sure have room to be better.

Goodness is one of the fruits of the Spirit, so it's obviously very important.

What I found most interesting though was, of the men (including older teenagers) questioned about what they look for in a wife, the majority answer was someone who was not high maintenance, she couldn't be a lazy, gossiping, shopping going out to eat 4 times a week lady.

As a matter of fact, my own son when asked this question agreed but went on to say that he wants someone who can take a little and make it into something nice..or in other words, someone could never tell that things might be a bit tight. He didn't want someone who would spend more time whining than making do with what is provided.

I know with my own husband, he wants a woman who needs him, whom he can take care of, but he also wants me to be able to stand on my own two feet.

Not that he wants me to (because he truly doesn't), but he is pleased that I can change the oil in my car and keep a check on the other fluids. I know what a good running motor sounds like and if something isn't just right, I can tell him..and now, after 26 years, I'm often able to get close, if not on target with what the problem is.

I can cut the grass, weed eat, and do minor repairs around the house. Even if I can't fix what's wrong, just the fact that I'm willing to put forth the effort is enough to please him.

Mrs. Pearl went on to share that a good woman is a wise steward of the finances her husband brings home, will cook from scratch as opposed to going out or always preparing pre-packaged meals, keeps her house clean and the children well taken care of.

She shares that even if the husband isn't fulfilling his role as he should, by being what we should in Christ for our husbands will cause others to look at him and say, "He has a good woman". And what man wouldn't be encouraged by that?

Next week: Obedient to Their Own Husbands

No comments: