Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Just a Thinkin'

So....Sunday night after a wonderful evening of I Care ministry outreach at church, I found myself home alone. DD was still at work and DS and DH were still at church working on the new welcome desk that is being put in the foyer.

I was scanning through the channels and found a show that I thought I'd get a good snicker out of ..it's title was "Canine Castles".

It's easy to understand from the title that this is going to be a show about extravagantly built dog houses...and it was.

But, even to my own surprise, instead of the eye rolling chuckle at the outrageousness of these dog houses, I found myself bobbing somewhere between anger and pity and even a bit of frustration at my ownself.



(Click here to see this picture including the article that went with it)

The more I saw dog houses with central heat and air, color tv's with remote controls, beds, clothes, rugs, pictures...I found myself thinking this has got to be the saddest thing I've seen in some time!

I found myself looking at dog houses that any human would be proud to live in...thankful to live in.

I found myself thinking that people are starving and homeless, and folks are laughing, admitting that spending $8000 - $25,000 for a dog house is not normal..."but we really love our dogs. They're our kids!!"

Now, before anyone goes to sending me hate mail let me say this....we are the proud owners of a black lab named Toby, a beagle named Bailey and a very spoiled indoor kitty named Mandy.
Our animals our very loved and always dubbed our kids. We take care of their health and play with them including slobbery dog kisses on the cheek. Our dogs are outdoor dogs with a very nice size dog house including warm bedding for these cold winter nights. We LOVE our animals ....very much, but when we can afford to spend lavish amounts on animals when there are children and adults hungry and homeless....our priorities are waaaay messed up.

I'm just as guilty as the above people I mentioned. While there is no way I would spend that kind of money on a dog house, I do waste money and things that I could bless others with and make their lives easier..give them hope.

God forgive us when we take so little thought of our fellow man......

3 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

That is crazy!

Journaling Gina said...

You've touched on something I've been thinking about quite a bit. Thanks for your transperancy!

Unknown said...

You know...I love my pets...a lot....but that is going just a bit too far.