Friday, February 5, 2010

Studying...Created to be His Help Meet


We are studying the book by Debi Pearl, Created to be His Help Meet. Through our study of this book, we are going to learn what it means to be a help meet and actually living the role that God created us as women to fill. I've read this book once before and applied many of the things that Mrs. Pearl spoke of, and it has transformed an already good marriage into nothing short of awesome!! I encourage you to purchase this book and follow along or at the very least, check out the Pearl's website at http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/ Any text taken directly from Mrs. Pearl's book will be highlighted in blue.

I realize that in studying Created to be His Help Meet at the rate of one chapter per week, we will be doing this study for approximately 24 weeks. We could go at this at a much faster rate, but I believe that if we truly want to change and fill our God given rolls as help meet to our husbands, then we need to take things slower and put into practice what we are learning. I hope you agree and stay the course with me as we become better help meets together.

Part 2: Titus 2

Chapter 16: To Be Discreet

We often think of being discreet as the ability to do avoid saying or doing something that may offend someone else. Mrs. Pearl did a little digging though and found that the word "discreet" actually means...."Prudent; wise in avoiding error and in selecting the best means to accomplish a purpose; circumspect; courteous, polite, honest dealings."

In reading this definition, I find that I'm pretty sure I'm missing it some areas, so let's see what we can do to change those things.

1) Seek to be Courteous

It is always important to make sure that we consider the other person's feelings. We should always make sure that we are treating others as we want to be treated.

While reading this I was taken back to a time in my life when telemarketers would call our house and I would either A. Answer with a really bad attitude, cut them short and then hang up while they were still talking or B. I would answer the phone and then hang it back up without saying a word.

Now, after conviction and prayer, I realize that the person on the other end of that line is just trying to make a living. They are just trying to pay their bills and provide for their families. They are just doing their job. So now, I do one of two things..A. I just don't answer the phone (caller ID) or B. I answer with a pleasant voice, wait for a lull in the spiel and politely tell them I'm not interested. Yes, sometimes I have to repeat myself a couple of times, but at least I'm not being rude.

2) Seek to be Honest

This may seem pretty self-explanatory, but it goes beyond don't tell a lie. It means don't manipulate a situation so that it will benefit you. Don't take home extra ketchup and salt from the bins at the fast food restaurant. Don't keep that extra change the cashier gave you and go back in and pay for that item you overlooked in your buggy and managed to get out of the store with without the alarm going off......yes, a couple of weeks ago I "stole" a video for about 12 seconds. Yes, I ran back in with my red face and confessed my sin and paid for the video. Yes, the cashier looked at me like I'd lost my mind for coming back in and being honest....isn't that so sad.........

3) Seek to be Gracious

Whenever your man does something to bless you, be pleased, be happy, enjoy the blessing. If he does something that is normally "your chore", just bask in the fact he loved you enough to do it. Don't point out the lump in the bed, the corner of dirt he missed or that the folded the towels backward.

He did what he did to bless you because he loves you..let that soak in.

Our challenge for this week is to take the list of the words below and mark an X by each one you feel you are lacking in. Then write out beside each word what you are going to start doing that will bring you closer to becoming what God desires of you.

*Chaste *Quiet Spirit *Prudent
*Sober *In subjection *Good
*Modest *Obedient *Discreet
*Shamefacedness *Kind *Keeper at Home
*Meek *Virtuous *Gracious


Next week: Chaste

1 comment:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

It is good to build our husbands up when they do something that is not normally their chore. It makes them happy and it also creates a thankful heart in you.

Steve put dinner away last night and cleaned the kitchen. He told me to go relax and take a bath. It was so sweet and much appreciated! He was rewarded greatly! LOL!