Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Praying Scripture

No one will argue the fact that the Bible, God's Word, was written to us, for us. It is a life-changing Book, from a life-changing God.

The lesson I'm studying right now in Loving Your Husband, is talking about just that loving your husband. Of course I was directed to 1Corinthians 13 and asked to take some very eye opening evaluations about myself there. But that's not the Scripture that spoke to me this morning.

It was Ephesians 3:14-19:

"When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in Heaven and on earth. I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through His Spirit. Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in Him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God." NLT

Many years ago as a new Christian, I remember hearing a preacher say that when you read the Bible, replace the you's with I's or me's, your's with my's....not to add to or take away from the Word, but to make it more personable to me when I read it.

So often we can get caught up in reading God's Word just to do it, because it's something I need to do everyday, check off my list so I can move on to something else.

But when you change a couple of words and read it as a personal letter to yourself..which it is...it makes a difference in how you read and understand it.
Read this same Scripture again with the you's and your's changed...

"When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in Heaven and on earth. I pray that from His glorious, unlimited resources he will empower me with inner strength through His Spirit. Then Christ will make His home in my heart as I trust in Him. My roots will grow down into God's love and keep me strong. And may I have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is. May I experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then I will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God."

Wow...that really makes a statement to me now. In my mind, the Word of God just became very personal.

I find myself wondering how much more of an impact the Word of God would make on my life if I read it like that every time I opened the Word. If I just changed those pronouns to make it impact me more.....

In this lesson, I was encouraged to pray this Scripture over myself in order to understand God's love more for me so that I could love my husband with God's love.

It also encouraged me to pray this Scripture over my husband. So this time I changed the pronouns to DH's name. OH WOW!!!! I'm telling you this sent a Holy shiver all over me!! Give it a try....I'll wait. Change those pronouns to your DH's name and read the Scripture aloud.....I promise..I'll wait...Did you feel that Holy shiver too???

What would happen in our marriages if we prayed this Scripture for ourselves and for our DH's on a very regular basis throughout the day?? I'm sure we'd see very God pleasing changes within ourselves and within our husbands. This would flow over into our children...wait...we should go back and pray that Scripture again and put our children's names in place of the pronouns!!!!!!! What kind of difference would be made in our homes???

There's no doubt that a great impact for Christ would be made.

Let me encourage you to give this a try along with me. It will be great to come back together in a few weeks and share how awesome of an impact this Scripture has made on our lives.

Are you up to the challenge with me???

Blessings..........

No comments: