Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Family Favorites

I hope that many of you...well..all of you..are giving our Family Favorite recipes a try. Most of the recipes that I post are frugal to make and can easily feed 4-6 people.

I know that it's more important now than ever for us to be conscious of our finances and one of the easiest places to cut back is our grocery budget.

This Family Favorite recipe is made easily, cheaply and can be doubled or tripled to fit whatever size crowd you're having.

Let me add that this recipe calls for cooked chicken. I like to buy chicken when it is on sale, usually around 49¢-69¢ a pound. I will put it in the crock pot and let it cook. After it cools, I pull it off the bone and separate it into bags and freeze it. Then when I need a quick meal, I can easily pull out my chicken and have a nice meal on the table in less than 30 minutes. This recipe is one of those....

Chicken Pot Pie

1, 15 ounce can mixed veggies
1½ cups cooked chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
¼ cup dried thyme
1 cup biscuit mix
½ cup milk
1 egg

Combine veggies, chicken, soup and thyme. Pour into a 9-inch pie pan. (I spray my pan with shortening--makes clean up easier)

Combine biscuit mix, milk and egg (in the same bowl!!--less dishes to wash!). Pour over top. Bake at 400ยบ for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown.

This is a great recipe to mix up before church and delay time the oven so it will be piping hot when you get home!!

I usually double this recipe to feed my hearty eaters!!!

1 comment:

Sandy said...

What a coincidence! We made a similar chicken pot pie recipe for supper tonight. We ate kind of early because of church tonight. The pot pie was delicious. :)