Saturday, July 25, 2009

Psalm Saturday



I am joining my friend Collette over at Jesus Loves Mums again this Saturday for Psalm Saturday.

Like Collette, I really love the book of Psalms. There is so much to be gleaned from this book, so many instances of cries being poured out to God and God, being God, coming to the rescue and holding tightly to His children.

One of my favorite verses is Psalms 19:14,

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to You, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." (NLT)


I have committed this to memory simply because it is a daily prayer of mine.

The words of my mouth are not always pleasing to God. Oh how I can get caught up in the moment, feeling like I'm being stretched in 12 different directions and then one unsuspecting person can ask a simple question and there I go....belting out frustration and anger on someone who is innocent.

Then there is the prayer request gossip...you know what I mean..."Oh, by the way, remember Sister So & So when you pray. Her son, Brother By & By, is having marital problems....."

And of course there is just the plain idol words that I speak that will in no way encourage or grow the Kingdom of God.

Worse than the words of my mouth is the meditations of my heart.

Oh boy......we have a saying in our house, "Garbage in, garbage out". Plain enough. What is in my heart? Is it the things of God? Things that are pure and holy or things that would make make my Father want to vomit?? I'm figuring if I can turn over the meditations of my heart to God, then the words of my mouth will be cleaned up as well..remember..garbage in, garbage out.

All I want is to be pleasing to the One Who sacrificed His everything for my filthy soul. How about you? Let me encourage you to adopt Psalm 19:14 as one of your daily prayers.....then join me in committing to allow God to annoint our meditations and words.

4 comments:

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

Hi Deb! Thanks for that verse today. It is a good one to commit to memory as they all are of course. I love it!
Can't help but think I should do the same and commit some verses to memory more regularly.

Love Collette xxx

Sandy said...

Hi Deb,
Just like you, I had joined Collette in looking at the Psalms at least every Saturday,
Just like you, I have already committed these verses to memory,
and just like you, it is my daily prayer, because, just like you,
my words aren't always pleasing to the Lord.
Didn't mean to be so repetitive!
Have a great Saturday!

Beth Herring said...

Great verse and message for today. We all need to remember these truths.

Jennifer said...

Great thoughts to remember this weekend - and as a new week begins rights around the corner. "Garbage in..garbage out." I like that. Have a wonderful Psalm Saturday - and Lord's day tomorrow!