Monday, November 17, 2008

How I Shop--Part Two

This week my savings wasn't as good as last.

Remember I shop every two weeks, because that's how dear hubby gets paid. I shop for 2 adults and 2 kids/adults...my kids are almost 16 and 18 with the 16 year old being a boy that we can't fill up!!!

One month ago, in coupons alone I saved $46.88. This number doesn't reflect what I saved in price matching and buying items on sale.

Last Friday was shopping day again and in coupons I saved $36.21. Again, that doesn't reflect my price matching and sale items. As we go through this journey, I will also try to include my price matching savings and the things I just simply won't buy unless they are on sale.

My first and biggest piece of advice is buy a deep freezer if you don't have one. We have just a small one that stays fairly well stocked with items that I find on sale, but need to freeze in order to extend their life.

We have lived in many different places in our 25 years of marriage and when it comes to shopping wisely, one common type of store that's usually always been in those areas are what I refer to as "Bent-N-Dents". They've had different names, depending on where we have lived: "The Pantry", "The Trade Market", "Grocery Salvage" (?!), and "Bent-N-Dent". The common theme of these stores have been the ability to buy groceries at a literal fraction of the price you would have to pay at a supermarket, Wal Mart or even Sav A Lot. These stores usually go to various warehouses and purchase can foods, pastas, rice, spices, staples, etc, at a fraction of the cost...therefore passing that savings down to you... because the packaging is slightly damaged or maybe the product didn't move that well in the area or it's close to it's expiration date. When dealing with the expiration date issue, always stay on the side of caution, but I've found that especially with what these stores mainly offer, most products are good way past the expiration date. The one item I'm incredibly particular about is anything tomato based. I won't buy dinged cans of tomato based products and I won't buy tomato based products that are close to expiration. Same for veggies.

Our store here is called The Trade Market and it is always my first stop on grocery day. There is usually always some type of out of this world bargain to be found. The thing is, when you find the bargain you do have to stock up because it quite literally won't be there when you go back again in even a few days. In a few days, there will be a whole new set of bargains and I have had to discipline myself to only go once every two weeks or I would truly be spending way to much in order to save!

For example, about a month ago they had 2 pound bags of self rising flour for 39¢ a bag. That means if I buy 3 bags, I've gotten 6 pounds of flour for $1.17. At any store in my area including Sav A Lot, the cheapest I can find 5 pounds of flour is $1.99. By buying at the Trade Market, I'm getting an extra pound of flour for 82¢ cheaper!! That's a no brainer in my mind. I ended up buying 8 bags and putting them in the freezer. Flour will last a very long time in the freezer and with the holiday season upon us, this is definitely not a waste!! They also had 5 pound bags of all purpose flour for 99¢.

I mentioned above that I'm very particular about buying tomato based products at these stores, but again, at the Trade Market, they had 15oz cans of diced tomatoes for 39¢ a can. We love chili and veggie soup at this time of year especially, and after checking the cans for dings (not one can had a ding!) and reading the expiration dates, I loaded up! I bought 12 cans my first trip.
Fortunately for me, these were available for many weeks and I've been buying 8-12 cans each time I go. We have a nice supply of tomatoes for making soup and chili, both very economical meals, at an incredibly low price. At our Sav A Lot, that same size can of tomatoes costs 59¢. A savings of 20¢ a can!

I've purchased bags of cereal for $1 a bag, cabbage for 39¢ a head, rice for 25¢ for a 2 pound bag. Green beans and corn for 25¢-39¢ a can, 48 oz bottles of canola oil for $1.99 (in our area now running well over $3 a bottle)...

Hopefully you can understand why I would make this my first stop. At this particular store, they are also able to offer milk and eggs, cheese and lunchmeats that are well within their expiration dates at these same great deals. I've been able to buy milk for $2.79 a gallon for quite some time now (which freezes very well by the way) a dozen and a half of eggs for $1.79, and 8 oz of shredded cheese for $1.99.

I would strongly encourage you to check around in your area for one of these types of stores. They are wonderful at enabling the frugal minded shopper to stick to her budget and yet make wonderful meals for her family at a fraction of the price.

Blessings......

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never checked out the Bent N Dent in our area, but I will look at it. I do my grocery shopping at Aldi's. I've been buying milk for 1.99 a gallon for awhile. I go every 2 weeks so that I can justify the trip and it is payday. Hubby loves this store and usually goes along and is even willing to stop by if I forget something on his way home from work. For a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 kids, one is a teen boy need I say more, we spend about 150to 200 every 2 weeks on groceries through Aldi's. Thanks for your info on saving, the flour deal was AWESOME!

Deb said...

When we lived in Indiana I always shopped at Aldi's and LOVED it!!! At that time (about 15 years ago) bread was 25¢ a loaf...
I knew there was an Aldi's in B'ham but I just didn't know if I could justify such a trip...I live in the Curry area.. I'm thinking it might just be worth checking out.
Thanks!!