Monday, November 10, 2008

Looking Like the World

We had an amazing youth service at church last night!!!

The 2nd Sunday night of each month, our teenagers handle the service and last night was the best yet, by far!! Our drama team performed a new drama to Barlow Girl's "She Walked Away" and did another one that they hadn't done in quite some time to Skillet's "Better Than Drugs". Since I'm the "adult in charge", I've watched these dramas grow from birth. I've seen them practiced perfectly and yet I was bowled over by the way the Spirit took over during the performance last night! Nothing short of awesome!! (Can you tell I'm proud??)

I'm proud of those teens, yes. But what I'm truly proud of, is the way they allowed themselves to be taken out of the picture, and allowed the Holy Spirit to descend on them and therefore allowing Him to descend on every person in that place. The altar was literally filled with people of all ages sobbing, crying out to our Father for whatever need they had in their life.

Our speaker was a young man of 17 who did a fantastic skit with his brother and spoke about being a Lazy Christian. Let me add that our speaker didn't "look"...uhhh.....wasn't dressed in even slacks and a button up (although he was wearing a tie...) This young man has jet black hair, gages in his ears, 2 lip piercings. He wore chains on his pants, his belt was studded and hanging off his hip, he had spikes on his arms, gloves on his hands and was completely annointed by God.

See folks, and you're welcome to disagree with me, but this young man will be harshly judged for the way he dresses. People will look at him and say, "Freak!"..."You call yourself a Christian??"..."You look too much like the world to be a Christian!". But I have a question.....What does the world look like?

You see, I look like the world. I'm just a simple stay at home mom who goes out and about in jeans and a t-shirt. How many people "in the world" wear jeans and t-shirts?

My husband looks like the world. He wears a uniform everyday to work and when he's not at work, he can be found in sweats or jeans. How many people wear uniforms to work?

My daughter looks like the world. On Sunday morning she wears dresses to church and does her makeup very modestly. She also has bright, pink highlights in her hair and 2 piercings in one ear and 3 in the other. How many people color their hair and pierce their ears?

My son looks like the world. He wears jeans with holes in them, American Eagle (bought at the thrift store!) t-shirts, studded belt and his earring. Oh....and if it's been a while since his last haircut, he flat irons his hair. How many people have holes in their jeans?

You see, we've been to church with people in jeans, and we've been to church with people in 3 piece suits and they all look like the world, yet it's cool for them to call themselves Christians. So, would somebody please explain to me why this young man can't be a Christian because he "looks like the world"???

God will use this young man to reach people that won't give the 3 piece suits and the stay at home moms the time of day.

It's way past time to stop majoring on the minors and allow the Holy Spirit to use people the way He deems best to grow His kingdom.

I'd love to get some feedback from you on this!!

Blessings......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very well put! God never said not to look like the world, but He said not to be part of the world. Which to me says don't do things the way the world does, drinking, drugs, gossip, steal, etc. I don't think God gets as hung up on the way person looks, as we do.