Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Different Twist on Cookies

Anyone who knows me, knows I love to bake and create in the kitchen! I'd much rather bake my goodies than buy them in the stores. Two reasons: 1) They're fresher 2) They're cheaper...and anyone who knows me, knows that cheaper is always better.

I try to have some kind of goody made at all times in my house. Having 2 teenagers and their friends constantly dropping in, this can be quite a challenge!! Never-the-less, there is usually something to snack on all the time.

The other night as I was making supper, I realized that our goody tier, was empty. With not a lot of time before Philip got home, I knew I needed to make something fast. Cookies are always a hit and very easy to make, but since it was almost time for supper, I didn't like the idea of bouncing up and down from the table to take cookies in and out of the oven.

I got busy and pulled out my trusty chocolate chip cookie recipe and mixed it up. I decided to live it up and instead of using chocolate chips, I used M&M's.

Then, instead of dropping the cookies onto the cookie sheet, I decided to spread the dough out. I flattened the dough in the bottom of a 10½ " x 15" cookie sheet. Then I took a butter knife and scored the cookie dough into bars. I baked the dough in the oven for about 15 minutes and voila!!.... After the bars (cookies??) cooled just a couple of minutes, I just broke them into bars, where I scored them before baking.

I have to admit, I was quite impressed by how easy this was and I was able to sit and enjoy supper with my family and have a warm goody fresh out of the oven afterwards!

Chocolate Chip Cookies

½ Cup shortening 1 tsp vanilla
½ Cup margarine or butter ½ baking soda
2½ Cups all purpose flour 1 12-ounce pkg. Chocolate chips
1 Cup packed brown sugar (remember, I used M&M's)
½ Cup sugar 1 cup nuts, optional
2 Eggs

In a mixing bowl, beat shortening and margarine together with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add about half of the flour, the brown sugar, sugar, eggs, vanilla and baking soda. Beat mixture till thoroughly combined. Beat in the remaining flour. Stir in chocolate piece and nuts.
Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375ยบ oven for 8-10 minutes or till edges are lightly browned. Cool cookies on a wire rack. (Remember, I spread the dough out in the cookie sheet and baked for about 15 or so minutes)

Blessings.....

No comments: