Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Let's Talk Shopping

How do you shop?

Do you use a list? Do you use coupons? Do you price match?

How about a budget? Do you allot so much for groceries and household items and then that's it?

When I began blogging, I really had a lot of things I wanted to talk about and share...like being the Biblical wife and mother God has called me to be. I want to share recipes and ideas. I want to share about our homeschooling life. I want to share how to save money and live a simpler life....and to me, a simpler life doesn't mean living by lantern and washing clothes on a scrub board...although I do swear by using a clothesline!!

I don't have it all figured out..by no means...but I've been around a while and I have picked up a few things here and there. I've learned lessons the hard way simply because I'm an extremely stubborn, thick-headed woman, who God has to repeatedly discipline because I want to do things my way...(hey!! didn't Elvis sing about that??)

So....I'm asking. What do you want to talk about? What would you like to see on here?

For me, with the holidays coming up....I'd like to address the subject of saving money when you shop. I was singing and dancing all the way home Friday after buying groceries because in coupons alone, I saved $45.32!!! That amount didn't include the price matching I did at Wal Mart and the groceries I bought at our little trade market by the house. Overall, my savings for 2 weeks worth of groceries was over $65!! Now...I know that there are people saving way more than I did/am and believe me....they are my goal, but I've only been serious about this for a little over a year now and remember...I'm a slow learner (see above!)

In the next 75 days, our household will be celebrating: Thanksgiving (it can cost a lot to serve that meal), our 25th wedding anniversary, our son's 16th birthday, Christmas, my dad's birthday, our daughter's 18th birthday and a trip to a Scott Dawson conference at $100 each (x's 4)!! So you see, spending will be at the front of my mind for quite some time to come.

I'd love to share what I've learned with you and I'd love to hear what works for your family too!!

In the next day or two, I'd like to share how I saved the $65+ this week and where I know that I could have saved even more.

With you all holding me accountable, I think we can be successful together!!

Blessings....

2 comments:

Sandy said...

And I thought I was doing well with $12 in coupons this week! Looks like you're doing very well with frugal shopping! Blessings!

Unknown said...

That's great! I run hot and cold with coupons. I have a binder for them when I have time to clip and save. Currently I make a trip to Aldi's every couple of weeks and save a bundle on groceries there. I would love to hear your stories. Bri's piano teacher can buy a basket full of groceries at Food World and spend maybe $20. She is amazing!