Saturday, April 25, 2009

Check Out the Cafe`!



While visiting at the Cafe` this morning, I realize today's questions are connected to last weeks....and while I was feeling.....oh... pretty good about myself last week, things have taken a drastic change.

To read last week's post first, click here.

Today Kim has brought me into complete reality with the following questions:

1) On a scale of 1-10, with a 10 representing the strongest, rate how you do with reading and studying the Bible.


Ouch. Honestly, maybe a 5...with many days not making it that high.....

2) why did you rate yourself as you did?


Because...I embarrassingly admit, I "fit in" my Bible time

3) If you are struggling with reading God's Word, make a list of possible stumbling blocks.


Here's how it usually goes with me:

We have 2 teenagers who are both working part time jobs. Many nights these teens don't get home before 10:30. At that time, DH is already dosing on the couch, but he doesn't go to bed because he wants to hear about their day. By the time they come home, share about their day, we pray with them, bed time for us is close to 11:30.
I rise and shine at 6:10, get DH's lunch and morning coffee together...usually with eyes have open.

DH gets up, gets ready for work, grabs his coffee and other things and heads out the door. On these particular mornings I tell myself I'm going to lie back down and rest for just another hour. If I tried to read my Bible, I'd be doing just that.....reading my Bible. Since I can't focus, I'll do it when I get back up. When I get up, I wake the kids, get on this computer, check my e-mail, do a post, check a few other things.

Depending on schedules, we may begin school or the kids may have to head out to work.

Now it's nearly noon and I haven't even really gotten started on the day as far as my household duties go.

The whole time I can feel God's prompting, "Stop. Spend some time with Me. I have so many things to share with you."

"In just a bit God. I just need to get _________ and ___________done first."

Before I know it, it's time to start supper because DH is on his way home. Once DH is home, it's all about him...and I'm glad to do that! I don't mind at all.

The kids start coming home and the whole cycle repeats itself.

These aren't possible stumbling blocks. It's the total truth....how it is.
It's not that I'm ignorant to what I'm doing. I know full well the choices I'm making.

4) Make a list of how we can grow closer to Jesus through the reading and studying of God's Word.


For this ole' gal it's as simple as not listening to the list of lies that satan repeatedly throws at me.

Instead of lying back down, I can wash my face, comb my hair, make my bed, get my blood pumping and within a half hour, I'll be wide awake and able to spend time with my Father.

It's listening to my Father when I hear Him pleading with me to just stop and visit with Him.

It's sacrificing whatever to make Him first and making the time I spend with Him of utmost importance---and remembering that no matter what I sacrifice, it pales in comparison to the sacrifice He made for me.

In complete and total honesty, it's putting Him first instead of Deb---and I am so thankful for this meeting at the Cafe`. It's just another avenue that God has chosen to say, "Hey Deb!! I love you and I miss you!! How about hangin' out with me for a while?? I really love spending time with you and we've got a lot of catching up to do."

To visit the Cafe`, click here.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Bless you for your honesty.

Toknowhim said...

Once again Deb, I am encouraged by what you shared... I can relate to what you said as well... We need to put God first and not ourselves...
Blessings, Kim

Unknown said...

Deb, it's nice to meet you and I can totally relate. I love hearing other people's story and realizing that I'm not alone.