Saturday, December 13, 2008

Shopping Savings

A few weeks back, I wrote a post on saving by going to the Bent-n-Dent. (Look at post "here") Since I did my shopping trip yesterday, I decided to show how that works to make for great savings.

I'm going to list what I bought. These are items that had to be bought regardless. The first column will show what I would have had to pay at the cheapest price I could find, (Wal Mart, Sav A Lot, etc.). The second column will show what I paid at the Bent-n-Dent.

Milk (3 gallon--------------$3.19 x's 3-------$1.98 x's 3
Honey Nut O's (2 bags)--$2.78 x's 2-------$1.00 x's 2
1½ dz eggs----------------$2.28--------------$1.59
Tomatoes, 14.5 oz (8)------.59 x's 8-----------.39 x's 8
Green Beans, 14.5 oz (3)---.49 x's 3-----------.39 x's 3
*Ranch Dressing, 16 oz--$1.19------------------.99
Potatoes, 10 pounds-----$4.79----------------$1.99
_____________________________________________
-----------------------------$29.58---------------$16.80

* Normally I buy store brand dressing which is $1.19 for 16 oz. This was actually Kraft brand which would run $2.24 at Wal Mart.

The savings: $12.78!

I also saved $16.25 in coupons.

$17.11 at Walgreens and got a $5 coupon off my next purchase

$ 2.99 at CVS. I had $3 in ECB's that were about to expire so I bought a tube of toothpaste for $2.99 and a caramel candy (because CVS can't owe you money) and got $2 in ECB's back**

Total savings $49.13 with $5 in Walgreens RR and $2 in ECB's

DH and I sat down and found that we really needed to revamp our budget. I have to admit I wasn't entirely happy about that, but given the current situation with the economy, we want to be on the side of caution.

My entire spending for 2 weeks for basically 4 adults was $214.14. That included household items, dog food and meat (we had almost emptied the freezer!!) and those extras for Christmas dinner. It was a bit of a challenge for me, but I honestly prayed before we left and God opened doors of savings that I didn't even expect!!

Hope this helps you to understand why I value having a Bent-n-Dent so close.

Check out your area and see if you have access to one of these awesome places!!

** To learn how to make CVS work for you, check out Money Saving Mom. Look in the right column and click on the CVS 101 and Walgreens 101 labels.

Blessings.....

1 comment:

momstheword said...

Great job. I always am a little leery of those type of places, I must admit. But I imagine the food is safe so long as the can isn't broken or bulging. I really should go check out a grocery outlet or something some time!

BTW, menopause: Yes, ain't it grand? LOL!