Tuesday, December 2, 2008

One Single Minute

Wow! I've been out of the loop for the most part over the Thanksgiving holidays and I'm glad to be back!

When dear hubby is at home, I try to devote my time to him.

So...I try not to stand on too many soap boxes. I've found that for some reason, not many people agree with my way of thinking and that's okay. But....

The title of my blog, "One Single Minute". Things can forever change in one single minute.

In Saturday morning's paper, I read an article about a 30 year old man in the Manhattan area, that was trampled to death.

He was an employee of Wal Mart and was the person designated to open the doors for the Black Friday shoppers. According to the article, there were 2000 people waiting, some since the day before, to get in Wal Mart and get those deals!

Apparently he opens the doors, the crowd pushes through, he is knocked to the ground, along with an 8 month pregnant lady, and is literally trampled to death..

I've got to tell you, when I read that, my heart broke. Even now, it is absolutely unbelievable to me how saving 5, 10, 50, 100 bucks is worth someone's life.

How can you be so focused on something that you don't realize that someone is literally being trampled under your feet??! Not to mention that one of those someone's is an 8 month pregnant woman!! Who by the way, was reported Sunday to be okay (baby too!).

How do you explain to this man's family that you're sorry this happened, but hey I saved $50? I don't understand it.

The article reported that when co-workers went into the crowd to try to help him, they too were injured in the stampede. It also reported that when it was announced the store needed to close for several hours because of the incident (murder...in my opinion) many shoppers got irate saying they'd been in line since the day before and intended to finish there shopping!! Hellllooooo.....you just contributed to the death of someone and you need to save a buck??????

I'm all about frugal. I'm all about saving. Part of the reason I write this blog is to share what I've learned over the years and pass it on so others can save too. I fully believe that God wants us to be good stewards of the monies He blesses us with. I love a deal. But at what cost? When have we crossed the line?

How important is it that we get a newer, bigger, better __________? What is wrong with what we already have if it's working?

The main reason I stopped going out on Black Friday was a fight. Years ago I went to our local Wal Mart in the city we lived in at the time. I was there for certain toys and the toy department was across from electronics. I watched 2 women...full grown, older than me women, actually fist fight over a computer!! A computer!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The savings?? $75. A computer.

If your financial situation won't cover the cost of an item, if you have to be so aggressive and so mean to save a couple of bucks...then maybe you shouldn't even be out shopping at all. The police was called and these 2 women went to jail over $75. I haven't shopped a Black Friday since.

I ask you to pray for this young man's family and I ask you to pray for the people who trampled a man to death for a few dollars.

Blessings....

2 comments:

momstheword said...

I know, that is just so sad. I suppose the force of the crowd behind just kept on pushing unknowingly and this is the result. I just feel so bad for his poor family.

If they are going to keep doing this, they need to make it safe. I, for one, would not want to be the one opening the door next year.

Unknown said...

I agree this was very sad to hear. Eddie usually volunteers to go to any sale I want for this very reason. He actually enjoys going out. Some stores are very organized and have the police handy to keep the crowd under control.

Today a friend and I were talking about this man. I have been in big crowds, and being short I can't see what lies ahead when I'm being pushed along by the crowd. I was in such a crowd at an amusement park once with my kids and I kept having to get really ugly to keep them from pushing and smothering my youngest child. There was a side of me that came out that no one has seen since, but I was trying to protect my child. I can only imagine what it was like for this poor man!