Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas Doubles

The funniest double of all was between me and DH.

Last Christmas, DH bought me a new/used car for Christmas. Ella ....yes, I named my car...is beautiful!! I absolutely love her!! Everything works on her except the CD part of my stereo. I haven't complained (too much) about the CD player not working. I love listening to the radio, so it really hasn't been a problem.

DH got a new/used Sidekick about 3 months ago that he loves! It had a stereo in it, but it didn't work at all. He's not as much of a music nut as I am, but he loves Southern Gospel music (cringing a bit here.....give me the contemporary or rock any day) and he missed listening to it.

I had my Christmas gift for him all planned out. I was going to buy him a pair of heated motorcycle gloves. DH loves his motorcycle--almost as much as me-- and rides it year round, in all kinds of weather. He has much of the gear he needs to stay warm or dry depending on the weather. His only real complaint is that his hands get cold about half way to work. So I thought that those gloves would be an awesome gift. And they would have...until Suzi (his car's name) came along. Since getting Suzi, he doesn't drive the bike on cold mornings anymore. I don't understand how he ever got on that thing when it is 20ยบ outside!!

As I was doing my Christmas shopping I found myself in the car stereo isle in every store I went in. Yep, I was going to get DH a stereo for Suzi..he was going to love it!

After much searching and checking my gift budget, I found a great deal in a car stereo. It had awesome features. Of course it had AM/FM radio in which he can program up to 24 stations, a CD player, a USB port where he can charge his MP3 player and a thingy (?) where he can plug that MP3 player in and play it over the stereo. I took that stereo to the counter to pay for it and they asked me if I'd like to purchase the extended warrenty for $6.95 more. Of course! I'd saved a good bit on the price and this would give me peace of mind that he'd have a working stereo for at least the next year.

Quite pleased with myself, I take home my purchase, show the kids what I had bought Dad, wrap it and put it under the tree. He was going to be so thrilled!!!!

A week or so later, DH comes home with my gift in tow. He slips into the bedroom and calls the kids in to show them what he had bought mom. He then wraps it and brings it out for me to look at. He let me hold it to see how "heavy" it was and asked if I could guess what it was. Nope. Didn't have a clue.

I did notice however that the kids were snickering and looking all deer-eyed and whispering. Hmmm....what's going on here??

Later that night my oldest comes to me while I'm in the tub and says..where her dad can hear also....Christmas morning is going to be very interesting in this house this year. See, she already knew the guys had bought each other pocket knives, DH and I knew we had bought the two kids new MP3 players, and the two kids new that Dad and I had bought each other..yep..new car stereos.

An hour or so later it hit both of us what had happened. We realized that each of us had a new stereo under the tree!!! It was so funny because neither of us would come right out and speak it, but we truly enjoyed the next 4 days tormenting each other.

DH: "Think you'll like your present??"

Me: "I'm sure I will!"

This went on and on, back and forth until all we could do was laugh at each other.

Sure enough, on Christmas morning, the kids insisted that Dad and I open our gifts at the same time. We begin tearing the paper off only to reveal that not only had we bought each other a car stereo, we had bought each other the same identical stereo!!!!!!!!! It was hilarious!!!!!! We laughed until we had tears coming out of our eyes. DH then proceded to tell me that he'd taken it a step further and bought the extended warranty. I just laughed harder and barely got out that I had done the same thing!!!

In this marriage, two have truly become one!!

While, for me, this was hysterical, it also gave me a warm fuzzy. To think, that the man God has blessed me with and myself are so in tune with each other that this happened is nothing short of great!

Blessings..........

2 comments:

momstheword said...

Isn't that funny! Your kids must have thought it was a hoot!

Beth in NC said...

Awwww, that is so sweet! Now, do you guys look alike too? "They" (whoever they are) say we begin to look like those we live with. Ha.

Bless you,
Beth