Thursday, December 11, 2008

Let It Snow..Let It Snow...Let It Snow..

Living in Alabama, the prospect of some snow always gets me excited! I grew up in Chicago....where it snowed. Philip and I have lived in Indiana...where it snowed. We've lived in Colorado....where it snowed. I hate bitter cold, but I love snow!

So when our weather man said this morning that our county was under a winter advisory with the prospect of getting 1"-3" of snow (in Alabama language that means a dusting..) I got just like a little kid. All antsy and pacing back and forth to the window to see if the rain had changed over yet.

The prospect of snow takes me back to our wedding night....

We got married at my husband's grandmother's house. Like I said before, we didn't have much money and we paid for our wedding ourselves. My parents bought our wedding cake and that was it. They were a bit upset because I was marrying someone I'd only known for 4½ months..and...he was leaving for bootcamp in March. They couldn't understand why I wanted to marry someone when he was getting ready to leave for at least 2 months. I just wanted to be his wife before he left..

Anyway, DH had picked me up at my house and we were driving towards his grandmother's. It was cold and a bit windy, but nothing out of the ordinary for the 16th of December.

We weren't talking too much about our wedding, but our plans for the future.

Philip had an old yellow VW bug, and if you've ever ridden in one in the winter, you know that it never seems to warm up in there! I was fairly hugging myself trying to stay warm and Philip was talking about the fact we'd need to put a blanket in that car for me (we still have a blanket in our car and the VW has been gone for a long time!!....when we noticed something falling. Another mile or two and it was snowing like crazy!!! Neither of us could remember the last time it had snowed in Alabama and here, on our wedding night, it was snowing!!! We actually slowed down because we were driving on a road that was heavily lined with trees. It was sooo dark, and with the headlights shining, the snow was especially beautiful~or maybe we were just totally in love~It continued snowing the rest of the drive to his grandmother's. When it stopped, I'm not sure. We got busy with last minute things for our wedding, but the picture of that snow falling is forever etched in our memory.

Now that we're back living in Alabama, everytime we get the hope it might snow, both of us go back to that night, almost 25 years ago, when 2 silly, young teenagers said "I do".

Blessings.....

3 comments:

Beth in NC said...

That is so sweet! I hope you get that snow that you desire so much!

When I was a child, it snowed here in NC, but rarely now. We get ICE which is dangerous.

Let it snow on my sister Lord! Not just in the natural, but also cover her in a dusting of Your sweetness today. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

Love,
b

Unknown said...

I'm with you on the snow! We are on the edge of the winter advisory since we live on the Jefferson/Walker Co. line. The kids and I have been waiting ALL day, quite anxiously too. Glad I'm not the only adult doing that anxious wait.

momstheword said...

I don't like to be cold but I do love snow. It's so beautiful! About your cat biting, that is to funny. I've heard of dogs biting but not cats! I once had a cat look intently at me and I thought it liked me, but all it did was reach out and scratch my face, lol!