Friday, April 23, 2010

Last Day of Give-a-Way & Just Sayin'

Just a reminder...today is the last day of my Fruit 2 O Essentials give-a-way.....I would love to be able to give everyone a chance to try this delicious water, but I can only choose one and that will happen in the morning. All you have to do to enter is leave a comment. You can leave as many comments as you want, but only one per day per post can I count!!

Okay....I was just scrolling around on my Facebook and saw a 'conversation'...if you can call it that between two women. One of the ladies is a woman I've went to church with and known most of my adult life. The other woman I don't know. I won't go into the conversation because that becomes gossip, but it did spark something in me that I've just got to speak up on....

So many people live such stressed out lives brought about by their own hand. Who fills up that day calendar? Who says, "Of course I'll be happy to _______" knowing that one more thing on your list will put you over the edge. We do!!

We put so much on our plate.....we try to be a part of everything that is going on....we allow our children to participate in every sport, play, etc that comes around for fear that they might get 'left out' (seriously??!!)..we meet ourselves coming and going, yellin' and stressin'..for what???? This just doesn't make sense in my mind. Why would anyone want that kind of lifestyle??

No one is more of a people pleaser than myself. No one has a harder time saying no than I do...but even I have limits. My children have limits and many times when they were younger they would get frustrated because I would say, "No you can't (do, go, play, watch..) because I could tell they were running on reserve and that was emptying out fast!!

Even now, with them being 17 and 19 I still tell them off the phone by 11:30 and every other weekend they have a midnight curfew..the rest of the time it's 10 pm. That's not popular, believe me...but they will (and have) pushed themselves to dangerous levels (like DS almost running his car over a bluff because he was so tired and sleepy!!)..

Come on parents!!...grow up, set boundaries. Little Johnny or Suzie won't die if they can't play year round sports. They won't miss out if they don't go to every sleep over, every concert every party that comes along.

But they are missing out if it's rush here to get there. They are missing out if supper is always in the back seat while they are rushing to the next thing they "have to do". They are missing out if mom and dad are so stressed about the schedule that all they can do is yell or stay in an uptight frame all of the time...

Is it really worth it????

"Unless the Lord builds a house, the work of the builders is wasted.
Unless the Lord protects a city, guarding it with sentries will do no good.
It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night,
anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones.
Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him.
Children born to a young man are like arrows in a warrior’s hands.
How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them!
He will not be put to shame when he confronts his accusers at the city gates."

Psalm 127, NLT

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Setting boundaries and sticking to them is the ONLY way to go.
Blessings, andrea

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Excellent post! I couldn't agree more with you. It is a struggle for me to say no but I'm getting better at it.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I loved this post! I pray before I add something to my calender, especially if it is something that is an ongoing thing. If it is, something has to be taken away. You can't keep adding!!!